Wednesday 18 July 2012

Gallery 2

Hollyhocks by Marian
So here we are two weeks after our lesson on negative space where numerous non-existing stools were created from the spaces around them.
The groups have been working independently now for those two weeks. The follow-up homework was set in two batches.
This time is for them to really direct themselves to put into practice what they have covered over the previous 3 weeks.

There were  2D exercises where negative spaces were lifted from flat images and some set 3D pieces...and here is some of the work produced from the first week focusing on how negative spaces relate to the subjects drawn within their formats.

Once again everyone has excelled themselves and I can see progress in each student.
Many found the whole concept of negative space really challenging and found it difficult not to focus on the positive shapes but they all succeeded in producing some confident negative space images.
Some of them even decided to do more than was asked which was very encouraging!

Gallery 2 Negative Space

Judy
'Bighorn Sheep.  
My favourite task so far. The third part of the triple frame allowed me to see how it might be possible to be even more creative with your own art work.
The foreshortening of the figure was easily overcome by looking at the negative spaces. 
I have found this technique to be really helpful in seeing how to transform things into 2D.


Judy
I'm not sure I could have drawn this corkscrew without looking at the negative shapes. 
Couldn't resist filling in some internal detail afterwards though.'


 Marian
'I found using the viewfinder without a stand very difficult; without a constant outer frame it was much harder to 'stick with' the negative spaces and ignore the object. 
I placed the lamp so that it touched the frame on three sides and I think it works better as a composition,but it does not have such interesting negative spaces.
Marian
I liked the negative spaces made by the crossing leaves of the plant, but wish I had placed the bent leaf at the top of the frame.'
Marian



Peter
Peter
 Lyn
' Still having a problem with proportions, negative space disappeared as it was drawn smaller - not a good choice- Lots of erasing !'
Lyn
Lyn
'Decided to have another go at a stool using my ' viewer ' Still found it hard  to do but at least it looked like a stool ! 



When I looked back at the last one HEY HO it was a LOT BETTER - maybe I am making some progress.'
Lyn
Marianne
Marianne













 Phil
Phil
Phil
'It's so hard to see just the negative space and to keep my head in the same place.'
Elaine









Catherine



Catherine







Catherine
I found the homework really hard wiith no one to check with that I was doing what I should. 
Negative space drawings I find very difficult. I understand the reasoning but  I find it very difficult.

2 comments:

  1. The negative space exercises really work, I can now tackle subjects that would have been beyond me 5 weeks ago. A big thank you to Sylvia. Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should also be giving yourself a big pat on the back Marian for doing the WORK. But thank you for your appreciation. It is good to know that what I am doing is actually working :)

    ReplyDelete