Thursday 2 August 2012

Consolidation...Into the Wild

Lyn
The key questions to answer when drawing out and about are
 'What should I include? What should I leave out?'
Elaine

In last week's lesson the focus was on identifying interesting nooks and crannies that offer potential for drawing.
My talented course members are now  really showing greater mastery of the skills introduced since the start of the course.

Phil
 After two outdoor sessions of one hour and a still life inside, results were incredibly good.




The gallery shows the artists at work and results here at the quinta and at home during the rest of the week.


Home practice this week was guided but each student had a choice in their compositions:
A section of wall in the garden,
A corner of a storage area,
A flower in a glass of water.

Gallery 4 

Lyn  

Bread oven - (seen above) looked reasonably straightforward but how wrong can you be, couldn't get angles right. ( I think it looks great. Sx)
Corner of my garden - this is a corner and I was able to sit in the shade - again it posed lots of new challenges.  Not sure it was a very good choice as the flowers took forever.
Flower in a glass - The Agapanthus looked really pretty in the glass and adding the shell added to it.  Once again I learned the hard way - the agapanthus had lots of small flowers to draw and although the shell looked good it was a 'b.....' to get it to look like a shell !!
On reflection I thought I had taken a step back this week but I have learned a lot from the different subject matter I have used.  I can do it after all, it just takes a lot of perseverance and I feel shattered as I have spent so many hours drawing this week.

Catherine
I really enjoyed drawing the passion flower ..........the glass was the easy bit.!! 
The granite shed I enjoyed as I have wanted to draw that since we moved here.
My least favourite  drawing is the shelf with assorted items on. Took 2 hours and not happy with it at all but at least I am finding out what I like to draw and what  I don't.
I can see how I am improving though which is pleasing.
 Marian
Corner of the Garden- While I am pleased with the buddleia, flower pot and steps I don't think the rest of the drawing works at all well, but I can't fathom out why.
Under the Stairs - I think I need to like the subject, or at least find it interesting in order to draw it, the vacuum cleaner just didn't inspire me.  It took me as long to draw it as it took Dyson to invent it, but without the same level of success. (I don't agree with this ..Sx)
Flower in Glass of Water - I love this, it restored my confidence after the problems with tasks 1 and 2.  The flowering artichoke was great fun to draw and well worth the effort.
Hollyhocks 2 - A possible final project so I re-drew the hollyhocks in flower.  I think the result proves my theory that I draw as much with my heart as with my hand.


Phil
The glass of water with a flower was a hard one!
It is difficult to draw flowers and leaves.
I could not really find a small section of my garden with formal structure and organic forms,
so I chose a view of the house of my neighbour.
As I have no shed I choose a shelf in Peter´s work shed.
I really loved drawing the last one, as I noticed that I am getting a bit more confident.
Judy
Garden Drawing - Really enjoyed doing this one. A late afternoon spent drawing in the sun. Bliss! I didn't know how to make the gravel look like gravel though. Do I need a symbol? I think I'm at a point were I am itching to shade and would really like to be able to convey textures better.
Utility Room- I'm having a bit of trouble with perspective at this point as you can see in the top of the bin but I think that lesson is coming later. I never realised how complicated a vacuum cleaner was before I tried to draw one. It took longer than all the rest put together. I was pleased with the floor tiles but would have liked to have made them look more like stone. My ambitions are ahead of my ability right now but I feel like I am learning so much that I could eventually achieve them with enough practice.
Dying Rose- it wasn't meant to be but it was, poor thing. I found myself fascinated with the reflections in the water. I'm definitely seeing the detail in things now, it's just deciding what to leave out.
 

 Peter





Elaine





Marianne







1 comment:

  1. Lyn wrote
    It is fascinating to see the different subjects my fellow 'drawers ' have chosen ( I will know to avoid my Dyson in future ) and everyone is doing so well. It gives me the inspiration I need to keep going. Lyn '

    ReplyDelete