Wednesday 8 August 2012

Gallery 5

Images and comments from a week at home. Four studies set.
It is impressive to see such incredible development after only 8 weeks. They are now all completely competent drawers.
Judge for yourself.

Marianne

Granite Wall and Doorway
Teapot, Cup and Saucer
(I love the shells Marianne, just the right amount of shading -  Sylv)
Australian Shells and Coral
Open Cupboard

Judy

Natural Artefacts - 'Fairly pleased with this one. Looking at the negative spaces between the objects definitely helped but I had difficulty making the right hand shell look like a shell.' (Love the glister on the glass pebble- Sylv)
Cupboard


'I didn't enjoy doing this one. We had builders here and I couldn't concentrate. I was going to do it again but when I came back to look at it again, it struck me that it was in fact more a record of my emotions when I drew it. I think it shows in the dark lines and the over all heavy handed look of it.'
Cofffee Pot and Mug - ' I'm still having a problem with drawing ellipses but over all I felt it wasn't too bad'  (With all of the curves and the perspective I think you did a great job with this- Sylv)






Section of Wall - 'I enjoyed this one. I wanted to convey the age and 'cragginess' of the well worn steps and wall. I think that although man made they have a very organic feel to them.'

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

Marian

Natural Artefacts - 'Now I know why artist give their work titles - I am calling this one "Driftwood, and other more recognisable natural artefacts".  I thought my second attempt was better, but Peter still had to be told what it was - for anyone else similarly perplexed it is called 'shells in sunhat"!' (I could tell that and am really impressed that you not only drew one pine cone but two!' - Sylv)
 

Cupboard under the Sink - 'I was pleased with the different angles of the various bottles, which I think work quite well, but found the clear plastic wrapping on the open packet of scouring sponges - Yes, that is what they are - difficult to get right.'

Section of Wall - 'I had two attempts at this and was not happy with either.  I am really struggling to draw identifiable modified contour images of loosely structured objects, when a lot of the structure and texture that makes them recognisable has 'fuzzy' edges or is reliant on change of colour.'

(I think you have captured the essence of the wall extremely well Marian - Sylv)













Coffee Pot and Mug - 'Back in my comfort zone here with some definite edges defining recognisable shapes.  I was pleased with the coffee pot but could not get the metal holder of the coffee beaker quite right.'


Peter

 (Clean lines and great perspective work here Peter...cleverly joining two tasks into one.. creatively sneaky -  Sylv)

Open Cupboard /Teapot and Mugs
Minotaur
Scaffolding

Lyn 

Coffee Pot and Cup - 'I thought this will be ok good negative shapes, clear outline ...... so I decided to do it large.  Big mistake as any incorrect lines are more apparent and it just would not come right.' (Looks great to me Lyn - Sylv)


Untidy corner - 'Did not enjoy this - started in the garden but was being irritated by flies and getting hot so I took a photograph to finish it off.  Not a good result, no idea how to make lots of leaves look good.'(Easy..leave them out! They do not add much to the overall image, which I really like - Sylv)
 












Shelf - 'Not too bad to do but as I wanted to sit down I was looking up at it.'

















Natural Artefacts - 'I gave up on my first attempt as I couldn't get the stones to look OK. I then took a few stones out of the arrangement to make it a bit more simple.  Of course I had chosen the prettiest shell which proved to be the most difficult. It still is not too good but I was reasonably satisfied with the end result.'











'It is interesting how the tasks you give us present new challenges each week, I would like to speed up a bit but overall I am enjoying the experience.'  (Good, I'm glad - Sylv)

Phil

The shelf - 'in my cupboard was fun drawing. I really liked doing it.' (It shows in your confidence of line Phil - Sylv)

The teapot and the mug - ' was fun when I started, but gradually became a nightmare.
The mug was ok, but I made it too big, so it became a problem with the teapot.
Especially because the teapot is made of glass.
If I still have time I will make a new one.'
 
Natural Artefacts - 'The composition of stones, shells and a piece of olivewood was a nightmare from the start.


There was a big hole in the wood, which I could not draw properly, also the lines in the wood were difficult to draw.'  (But the overall effect is pleasing - Sylv)
  

Section of Wall - 'As I do not have an untidy fence or wall on our property, I chose a section of a small wall with our shoes on it and rosemary in the background.
It is a subject I was already longing to draw for quite a time, but I was afraid doing it. Thought it too difficult. I really liked doing it.'

Elaine

(You did well to capture the curves and perspective here - Sylv)

Coffee Pot and Mug

Cupboard Shelf
Natural Artefacts
Granite Wall

 Catherine

The Teapot and Cup - ' was the drawing I enjoyed the most as it is  part of Susie Cooper tea service passed down  to me by my parents. I love the lines / shape of the teapot.' (It is a super drawing Catherine- Sylv)






Natural Artefacts - 'With the still life I enjoyed choosing the objects and setting it up though not as easy as I first thought. Several different set ups before decided on the final one.' (I like its simplicity - Sylv)



The Wall- 'caused me the most difficulty and also..... 
The contents of my kitchen cupboard but both drawings turned out  OK.'
 
 









No comments:

Post a Comment